Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Why Mirrors?

I feel a need to explain my title, my prose, and the picture I posted. I think for most women, at least a lot of women, the mirror is something to be avoided. And I'm not narracissitic any more than most. But I look at the mirror as a place for reformation. Where most women see flaws, I see reassurance. I am told so often who I am, what I am, what composes me. But then I look in the mirror and I don't see a disabled woman, I see myself. And this is both profound and simple at the same time(for me--it's just profoundly simple). I am able to remind myself, "hey, no matter what so and so said--there you are." That gives me peace, solace, and often this need to make people see in other disabled people what I see in myself; hence, my activism.

Here, I will gab about perceptions, projects, and sometimes, just my day to day life(which is pretty boring). But in the process, I hope to provoke thought and maybe change a few minds. Maybe this can be both a diary and a platform. I hope so. Thanks for reading. I'll be consistent once I get the hang of all of this. Any suggestions on topics??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reflections are deceivingly simple aren't they? You look into the mirror and you see yourself- but it’s hard to know if that's what you truly look like. Yet we define ourselves by the mirror. Yes appearances aren't everything, yet they affect us and who we are. Things that set us apart from the 'norm' are what end up defining us- and when a I think of Crystal, your appearance becomes the symbol which I recognize and remember what you've said and written.

A mirror gives us a chance to look at our selves in a way that we can't do on our own. Without mirrors (or reflections) I would never be able to see what I look like in other people's eyes. Our outer form acts as a symbol of who we are simply because they connect us to the earth, they make us ‘human’ and connect us to a broader category.

I know your outer form is important in your life because you have told me how your disability has entered the definition of you. Your disability has propelled you forward, even though society believed it would slow you down. You have done amazing things and I think your outer form aptly fits your inner heart because you have learned that paltry things cannot defeat you.

I think your title should be an indication of your topics. I think it’s important to offer your perspective as a woman who is disabled- especially your ideas on culture, society, and life. Your poems (which are amazing even if you don’t think so) should make more appearances and I want to read some of your non-fiction. Furthermore, your perspectives on classes and themes you’ve learned throughout your academic career would be interesting.