Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My title.

Looking in the Mirror/Mirrors
They say/ to truly know who you are/you must confront the mirror
The problem/is that the mirror is opinionated/ when it’s in someone else’s eyes.
Perception is nothing but a house of mirrors/distortions of the truth/that isolate.
I look in the mirror and see eyes that have faced a battle/the quiet war of prejudice.
They see the grey/no it’s true/I didn’t sleep.
I look in the mirror and see kind, effective hands that hug, soothe, and write words of wisdom.
They see claws of anger/no it’s true/my hands are tired.
I look in the mirror and see a body that worn the armor of skin well and each bruise is just another battle scar.
They see only weakness/no it’s true/ I did fall yesterday.
I look in the mirror and see the smile of a survivor, a fighter
They see my apologies, my words of explanation/no it’s true/I did miss the meeting.
Where they see tragedy/I see triumph
Where they see exhaustion/I see dedication
Where they see anger/I see righteousness
Where they see bruises/I see strength
Where they see weakness/I see me.

No comments: